Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I get flak for being a Christian. Recent remarks include "Christians have given themselves a bad reputation," "No one I know respects Christians" and then there was a fiery exchange of posts on a blog between two Christians in which the warring parties called one another names: "wacko" and "doomed evildoer" to cite only two.

The irony is that, during my long desert spell when I quarrelled with God, I was virulent against churches. And I wouldn't be surprised if some who hurl flak are similarly injured, either by some church in their past, or some less-than-perfect Christian, or some falling-out with the Lord. The further irony is that, when people who quarrel with the Lord can manage to talk (or write) about how that happened, they usually admit (as I did) that those years of rupture were miserable, and that the rupture in the relationship started on their end. And they marvel (as I do) at God's lovingkindness in fetching us back, even after we've raged and injured ourselves.

So I'll take the flak, and try not to judge. But I'm wondering about what I can do to make things better, and the only answer I've received to that question is to live a witness. This makes sense to me as an answer, when it came into my mind last night, because I was reminded that someone who didn't even intend a witness and who never uttered a word was responsible for starting my path back to this improved relationship with God.

Today's quote: Judge not, that ye be not judged. (Jesus)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home